Camden County NJ Aggravated Sexual Assault Lawyer
Sex Crimes Defense Attorney with Offices in Haddonfield, New Jersey
The criminal defense lawyers at the Law Offices of Leonard D. Biddison represents clients charged with a range of sexual offenses including aggravated sexual assault, criminal sexual contact, lewdness, and promoting prostitution. In fact, Mr. Biddison has had a number of sex crimes trials over the years and is highly experienced in handling these very sensitive cases. Our firm focuses on the investigation process and employs the services of a retired New Jersey State trooper to gather evidence, write reports, and take witness statements if necessary. Further, one of our attorneys previously worked with the sex crimes unit at the United States Attorney’s Office. Our criminal defense team will sit down with you and draft a comprehensive defense strategy to combat these serious charges. Don’t let these charges (or even the accusation) ruin your life, contact the Law Offices of Leonard D. Biddison immediately for a free initial consultation at 866-721-9510.
Our criminal defense lawyers are available immediately to assist you at 866-721-9510. The initial consultation is always provided free of charge.
Aggravated Sexual Assault Charges in New Jersey: N.J.S.A. 2C:14-2
Aggravated Sexual Assault is codified under N.J.S.A. 2C:14-2a, which provides:
- An actor is guilty of aggravated sexual assault if he commits an act of sexual penetration with another person under any one of the following circumstances:
- The victim is less than 13 years old;
- The victim is at least 13 but less than 16 years old and
- The actor is related to the victim by blood or affinity to the third degree; or
- The actor has supervisory or disciplinary power over the victim by virtue of the actor’s legal, professional, or occupational status; or
- The actor is a resource family parent, a guardian, or stands in loco parentis within the household;
- The act is committed during the commission, or attempted commission, whether alone or with one or more other persons, of robbery, kidnapping, homicide, aggravated assault on another, burglary, arson or criminal escape;
- The actor is armed with a weapon or any object fashioned in such a manner as to lead the victim to reasonably believe it to be a weapon and threatens by word or gesture to use the weapon or object;
- The actor is aided or abetted by one or more other persons and the actor uses physical force or coercion;
- The actor uses physical force or coercion and severe personal injury is sustained by the victim;
- The victim is one whom the actor knew or should have known was physically helpless, mentally defective or mentally incapacitated.
Aggravated Sexual Assault Penalties in New Jersey
Aggravated Sexual Assault is a crime of the First Degree (the most serious under the Criminal Code), punishable by a term of imprisonment of between 10 and 20 years in New Jersey State Prison, 85% of which must be served under the No Early Release Act (“NERA”) before the benefit of parole. Additionally, an Aggravated Sexual Assault conviction carries with it the following requirements: Community Supervision for Life, Megan Law’s Registration, and a psychosexual evaluation (commonly referred to in court as an “Avenel evaluation”).
Note: The Statute of Limitations does not run until two years after the victim reaches the age of 18 years (assuming that the victim was a minor at the time of the commission of the offense) or five years after the commission of the crime, whichever is later.
Contact a Winslow Twp. NJ Aggravated Sexual Assault Lawyer to Discuss Your Case
Contact our criminal defense lawyers now for immediate assistance at 866-721-9510. The initial consultation is always provided at no cost.