Camden County NJ Juvenile Sentencing Lawyer
Criminal Defense Attorney with Offices in Haddonfield, New Jersey
When it comes to juveniles in New Jersey, the criminal justice system tends to be geared more towards rehabilitation and future deterrence during sentencing rather than punishing the offenders. Many times these offenders are dealing with a difficult period in their life in regards to their family or school and they end up straying off and making misguided decisions. The court system recognizes this and tries to give juveniles a second chance and get them back on the right path in life. If your son or daughter has been charged with a crime, however, do not take the situation lightly. It is crucial that you contact a knowledgeable and skilled attorney who has experience dealing with these situations.
The criminal defense team at the the Law Offices of Leonard Biddison defends juveniles charged with offenses such as shoplifting, assault, and marijuana possession in Camden County including Cherry Hill, Gibbsboro, Somerdale, and Gloucester City. With around 40 years of combined experience, our defense attorneys know what it takes to help get you the most desirable result in your case. In fact, one of the members of our criminal defense team is a former county prosecutor in New Jersey who used to work on various charges for the State. This means we can predict what kinds of arguments the prosecution will make and use this knowledge to defend your case. The Law Offices of Leonard Biddison are available anytime for a free initial consultation to speak with you about your case. Call us today at 866-721-9510.
Juvenile Sentencing in New Jersey
As mentioned above, the criminal justice system is more concerned with rehabilitation and the best interests of the child in cases involving juveniles. The juvenile system is therefore much different than for adults. Sentencing will usually involve one or more of the following:
- Community Service
- Book Reports
- License Suspension
- Deferred Disposition
Note: Deferred Disposition is basically the juvenile equivalent to the Pre-Trial Intervention program. If the minor successfully completes the probationary period, the charges will be dismissed.
Factors Considered During Sentencing for Juveniles in New Jersey
In juvenile cases, the probation department will draft a report before sentencing so that the judge is informed about the defendant and the circumstances surrounding the offense. He will then make a ruling based on a variety of factors including:
- The nature and circumstances of the offense;
- The degree of injury or damage caused by the offense;
- The juvenile’s age, previous record, and prior social services received;
- Whether the disposition supports family strength, responsibility, unity, and the well-being and physical safety of the juvenile;
- Whether the disposition provides for reasonable participation by the child’s parents or guardians;
- Whether the disposition recognizes and treats the unique physical, psychological, and social characteristics and needs of the child;
- Whether the disposition contributes to the child’s developmental needs;
- Other circumstances related to the offense and the juvenile’s social history;
- The impact of the offense on the victim, on the community, and the threat to the public posed by the child.
Contact a Cherry Hill NJ Juvenile Sentencing Lawyer for Help
The criminal defense attorneys at the Law Offices of Leonard Biddison are always available to speak with you about your case and begin to formulate an aggressive strategy to defend you against your juvenile charges. Our criminal defense team understands the details of juvenile law in New Jersey and we will use this knowledge to help you best defend against these charges. Call us today at 866-721-9510 for a free initial consultation about your case.