Camden County NJ Criminal Defense Attorney
Travis J. Tormey is the owner and operator of the Tormey Law Firm, LLC in Paramus, New Jersey. He is also an “of-counsel” attorney to the Law Offices of Leonard Biddison. Mr. Tormey and Mr. Biddison frequently work on criminal cases together, drafting a defense strategy to best defend their clients.
Mr. Tormey graduated summa cum laude from Rutgers University and graduated cum laude from Seton Hall University Law School in Newark. Early in his career, Mr. Tormey worked for the United States Attorney’s Office in Newark for Governor Christie, where he worked closely with the sex crimes, white collar crimes, and gang-task force units of the federal prosecutor’s office. After his time there, Mr. Tormey worked for two of the largest criminal defense firms in the State, where he literally handled thousands of cases ranging from speeding tickets to robbery, gun, and drug distribution charges.
Mr. Tormey’s credentials include the following:
• Alcotest 7110 Certified DWI Defense Lawyer
• Handled thousands of criminal cases in both Superior and Municipal Court in New Jersey
• Cited as a legal authority on Megan’s Law by the Asbury Park Press
• Blog article cited by AOL News on disorderly conduct
• Cited as a legal resource on shoplifting by the Daily Record in Morris County
• Cited as a legal authority on luring offenses by the Bergen Record in 2012
As you can see, Mr. Tormey’s credentials are extensive in the areas of criminal and drunk driving (DWI) defense in New Jersey. In fact, Mr. Tormey has worked on two of the most precedential cases in the area of drunk driving law in the past decade. The first case was State v. Holland, where Mr. Tormey and his then law partner challenged the admissibility of the breath test readings based on a substitute temperature probe being used on the Alcotest machine. The second case, State v. O’Driscoll, challenged the refusal form used statewide by the Attorney General’s office to prosecute drunk driving cases in New Jersey. In response to the O’Driscoll case, the refusal form was revised by the Attorney General’s Office to deal with the issues raised in the O’Driscoll case. Mr. Tormey has handled thousands of drunk driving cases in his years of practice throughout New Jersey and uses his Alcotest certification to challenge technicalities in order to provide the best possible results for his clients.
Mr. Tormey also handles serious indictable criminal offenses such as aggravated assault, robbery, cocaine distribution, illegal gun possession, and burglary throughout New Jersey. Mr. Tormey’s results are impressive, as you can see from his success stories page, as well as from the client testimonials he has obtained over the years.
Areas of Practice
- Domestic Violence
- Criminal Law
- White Collar Crimes
- Traffic Violations
- 85% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- Seton Hall University School of Law, Newark, New Jersey
- J.D. cum laude
- Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey
- B.A. summa cum laude
- Honors: 1st Year Award for Academic Excellence
- Honors: Outstanding Scholar Award
- Major: Political Science
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Pinilis Halpern, LLP, Associate
- Law Offices of John Marshall, Associate