Camden County NJ Civil Restraints Lawyer
Domestic Violence Attorney with Offices in Collingswood, New Jersey
Involvement in a domestic violence incident resulting in either a temporary or final restraining order can have several serious consequences that can have a significant and long term impact on your life, including educational and employment opportunities. In New Jersey, however, the law provides an alternative to restraining orders in certain cases called civil restraints. This can be advantageous many times for all parties involved since the penalties for violation of civil restraints are not as severe as for violation of a restraining order. If you have been involved in a domestic violence incident, it is in your best interest to contact an experienced attorney who can get you the best possible outcome in your case.
The attorneys at the Law Offices of Leonard Biddison have had tremendous success handling countless domestic violence cases for years in Camden County, including Cherry Hill, Haddon Heights, Lindenwold, and Waterford. In fact, one of the members of our criminal defense team is a former domestic violence prosecutor in New Jersey. She now uses her training and experience to defend citizens charged with domestic violence offenses. If a temporary restraining order has been filed against you, having an attorney who knows what it takes to potentially beat the charges is imperative. Call the Law Offices of Leonard Biddison at 877-450-8301 anytime for a free initial consultation.
Civil Restraints in New Jersey
Simply put, civil restraints prohibit the parties involved from communicating through a civil agreement. Although the goal is to produce the same result as a restraining order, they are different from them in several ways such as:
- If one of the parties violates civil restraints, he or she must seek remedies in court by filing a motion. This usually takes 4 to 6 weeks.
- If relief is granted, it will be civil in nature. You will not be charged with a criminal offense
- Since there is no criminal violation or charges, police will not be involved and you therefore cannot be arrested
There may also be several advantages in getting civil restraints rather than a restraining order. These may include:
- Your chances of being granted a final restraining order are not very good, but you still can get protection through civil restraints
- You may not want to risk the other party filing for a final restraining order against you, which could impact your life including employment opportunities
- A person might want protections against other party without subjecting him or her to the much more significant consequences of a final restraining order
Contact a Pennsauken NJ Domestic Violence Lawyer for a Free Consultation
The criminal defense attorneys at the Law Offices of Leonard Biddison are always available to speak with you about your case and begin to formulate an aggressive strategy to defend you in a domestic violence case. Our criminal defense team understands the details of the law in New Jersey and we will use this knowledge to help you best defend against your charges. Call us today at 877-450-8301 for a free initial consultation about your case.