Camden County NJ Graves Act Offense Lawyer
Weapons Charges Attorney with Offices in Collingswood, New Jersey
Being found guilty of a weapons offense can result in some serious penalties. This is partially due to the fact that gun laws in New Jersey are quite strict. For example, even if a person is from out of state and legally owns a weapon in that state, he or she must still comply with the laws of New Jersey regarding transportation of weapons. Because of programs such as the Targeted Anti-Gun Initiative and the fact that many weapons offenses are included under the “Graves Act,” a conviction for these crimes can expose a person to a long prison sentence depending on a variety of factors such as what the weapon in question is. If you have been charged with an offense under the “Graves Act,” you will need a talented and experienced criminal defense attorney to help you get the most desirable outcome in your case.
The attorneys at the Law Offices of Leonard Biddison have had tremendous success handling weapons offenses for years in Camden County including Gibbsboro, Gloucester, Cherry Hill, and Winslow Township. in fact, one of the members of our criminal defense team is a former county prosecutor in New Jersey who used to prosecute various charges for the State including gun and weapons offenses. This means we can predict what kinds of arguments the prosecution will make and use this knowledge to defend your case. If you have been charged with a crime included under the “Graves Act,” having an attorney who knows what it takes to potentially beat the charges against you is imperative. Call the Law Offices of Leonard Biddison at 877-450-8301 anytime for a free initial consultation.
New Jersey’s Graves Act: N.J.S.A. 2C:43-6
The Graves Act is covered under N.J.S.A. 2C:43-6. it The act operates to impose more severe penalties, including a mandatory prison sentence with a longer time before parole eligibility, on those convicted of crimes enumerated by the act. If you are convicted of a Graves Act offense, you will be required to serve between one-third and one-half, or three years of the sentence, whichever is more, before parole eligibility. Further, if a person wants to reach a plea agreement for one of these crimes, it must be signed by the presiding judge in order to be approved. The crimes included under the Graves Act are:
- Possession of a Sawed Off Shotgun – N.J.S.A. 2C:39-3(b)
- Possession of a Defaced Firearm – N.J.S.A. 2C:39-3(d)
- Possession of a Firearm for an Unlawful Purpose – N.J.S.A. 2C:39-4(a)
- Unlawful Possession of a Machine Gun – N.J.S.A. 2C:39-5(a)
- Unlawful Possession of a Handgun – N.J.S.A. 2C:39-5(b)
- Unlawful Possession of a Rifle or Shotgun – N.J.S.A. 2C:39-5(c)
- “Certain Persons Not to Have Weapons” Offenses – N.J.S.A. 2C:39-7
- Manufacture or Transport of a Machine Gun – N.J.S.A. 2C:39-9(a)
- Manufacture or Transport of a Sawed Off Shotgun – N.J.S.A. 2C:39-9(b)
- Manufacture or Transport of a Defaced Firearm – N.J.S.A. 2C:39-9(e)
- Manufacture or Transport of an Assault Firearm – N.J.S.A. 2C:39-9(g)
These following crimes are also included if a firearm was used during the commission:
- Robbery, N.J.S.A. 2C:15-1
- Burglary, N.J.S.A. 2C:18-2
- Escape, N.J.S.A. 2C:29-5
- Aggravated Sexual Contact, N.J.S.A. 2C:14-3(a)
- Sexual Assault, N.J.S.A. 2C:14-2(a)
- Kidnapping, N.J.S.A. 2C:13-1
- Aggravated Assault, N.J.S.A. 2C:12-1(b)
- Homicide, N.J.S.A. 2C:11-3
- Manslaughter, N.J.S.A. 2C:11-4
Note: One of our attorneys has had extensive experience with Graves Act crimes and has seen tremendous success with them. He has been able to get his clients probationary sentences such as admission into the Pre-Trial Intervention program rather than jail time. The advantage of the PTI program is that after it is successfully completed, the charges against you will be dropped.
Contact a Cherry Hill NJ Graves Act Offense Lawyer for a Free Consultation
The criminal defense attorneys at the Law Offices of Leonard Biddison are always available to speak with you about your case and begin to formulate an aggressive strategy to defend you against a Graves Act offense. Our criminal defense team understands the details of the law in New Jersey and we will use this knowledge to help you best defend against these charges. Call us today at 877-450-8301 for a free initial consultation about your case.