Camden County NJ Juvenile Megan’s Law Attorney
Sex Crimes Defense Lawyer with Offices in Haddonfield, New Jersey
Despite the way most people think, even juveniles can be charged with sex crimes in New Jersey. These charges, or even just accusations, can have a significant negative impact on your son or daughter’s life. If your child has been charged with a sex crime, or is even being questioned in relation to one, it is in his or her best interest to speak to an attorney who can help protect their rights and guide them through this complicated legal process.
The criminal defense team at the the Law Offices of Leonard Biddison defends juveniles charged with offenses ranging from shoplifting and underage drinking, to marijuana possession and aggravated sexual assault in Camden County, including Cherry Hill, Gloucester, Winslow Township, and Brooklawn. With around 40 years of combined experience, our defense attorneys know what it takes to help get you the most desirable result in your case. In fact, one of the members of our criminal defense team is a former county prosecutor in New Jersey who used to work on various charges for the State. This means we can predict what kinds of arguments the prosecution will make and use this knowledge to defend your case. The Law Offices of Leonard Biddison are available anytime for a free initial consultation to speak with you about your case. Call us today at 866-721-9510.
Megan’s Law for Juvenile Offenders in New Jersey
Megan’s law was enacted in 1994 in response to the killing of a young girl that was lured to the home of a sex offender. The law requires that anyone convicted of certain sex crimes register his or her name, address, and other pieces of information with the local police. This information is then used to notify the schools and other individuals in the area. Further, a picture of the offender will be put onto the online sex offender registry.
In many juvenile sex crimes cases, the child will be required to register under Megan’s Law if convicted and be subject to several other penalties. The law regarding the details of sex offender registration is explained under N.J.S.A. 2C:7-1 through N.J.S.A. 2C:7-21. According to these laws, you must register if you are a defendant convicted, adjudicated delinquent, or found not guilty by reason of insanity of any of the following crimes:
- Luring or Enticing a Minor
- Criminal Sexual Contact (if the victim is under the age of 18)
- Kidnapping (where the victim is under 18 and the offender is not the parent)
- Criminal Restraint (where the victim is under 18 and the offender is not the parent)
- False Imprisonment (where the victim is under 18 and the offender is not the parent)
- Aggravated Sexual Assault
- Sexual Assault
- Aggravated Criminal Sexual Contact
- Kidnapping (where the victim is less than 16 years old)
- Endangering the Welfare of a Minor by Engaging in Sexual Contact with a Minor
- Endangering the Welfare of a Minor by knowingly receiving for the purpose of selling, procuring, manufacturing, giving, or providing through any means (including the internet) any photos, films, or videos which depict a child engaging in a prohibited sexual act or in the simulation of such an act
Contact a Gloucester NJ Juvenile Sex Crimes Defense Lawyer Today
The criminal defense attorneys at the Law Offices of Leonard Biddison are always available to speak with you about your case and begin to formulate an aggressive strategy to defend you against your juvenile Megan’s Law charges. Our criminal defense team understands the details of juvenile law in New Jersey and we will use this knowledge to help you best defend against these charges. Call us today at 866-721-9510 for a free initial consultation about your case.