Camden County NJ Identity Theft Lawyer
Criminal Defense Attorney with Offices in Haddonfield, New Jersey
A person commits identity theft when he or she uses someone else’s personal information to obtain money or another type of service. This crime has become much more prevalent in recent years due to technological advancements and the popularity of conducting various transactions online. Identity theft carries several significant penalties including jail time and heavy fines. Further, a person charged with identity theft is also often charged with related crimes such as credit card theft. If you have been charged with identity theft, you should contact a talented and experienced attorney to help you achieve the best result in your case.
The criminal defense team at the the Law Offices of Leonard Biddison defends clients charged with theft related offenses such as burglary, theft by extortion, and credit card fraud in Camden County including Haddonfield, Stratford, Bellmawr, and Cherry Hill. With around 40 years of combined experience, our defense attorneys know what it takes to help get you the most desirable result in your case. In fact, one of our attorneys has handled countless theft related cases and has been featured in the Daily Record from Morris County as a result of his success in several of these cases. The importance of this sort of expertise can be extremely valuable in your case. The Law Offices of Leonard Biddison are available anytime for a free initial consultation to speak with you about your case. Call us today at 866-721-9510.
New Jersey Identity Theft Statute: N.J.S.A. 2C:21-17
The law for identity theft is covered under N.J.S.A. 2C:21-17. It states that a person is guilty of this crime if he or she:
1) Impersonates or assumes the false identity of another and does an act in such character for the purpose of obtaining a benefit or to injure or defraud another person.
2) Pretends to be a representative of some person or organization and does an act for the purpose of obtaining a benefit or to injure or defraud another.
3) Impersonates another individual, takes a false identity, or makes a false or misleading statement regarding the identity of any person, in an oral or written application for services, for the purpose of obtaining any services.
4) Obtains any personal identifying information, without permission, about another individual and then uses the information, or assists another person in utilizing the information in order to take the identity of another individual, for the purpose of fraudulently obtaining or attempting to obtain a benefit or services, or to avoid paying a debt or another legal obligation or to avoid prosecution of a crime.
5) Impersonates another person, assumes a false identity or makes a false or misleading statement, in the course of making an oral or written application for services, with the purpose of avoiding payment for prior services.
Degrees and Penalties for Identity Theft in New Jersey
Second Degree – 5 to 10 years in New Jersey State Prison
- The amount stolen by the defendant is at least $75,000 or
- The offense involves at least 5 victims
Third Degree – 3 to 5 years in NJ State Prison
- The amount stolen by the defendant is between $500 and $75,000
- The offense involves between 2 and 5 victims or
- If it is a second or subsequent offense
Fourth Degree – Up to 18 months in NJ State Prison
- The amount stolen by the defendant is less than $500
Note: A person convicted of identity theft may also be required to pay restitution to the victim. This payment can include costs suffered in clearing the credit history or credit rating of the victim or in connection with any civil or administrative proceeding to satisfy any debt, lien, or other obligation of the victim arising as a result of the actions of the defendant.
Contact a Lindenwold NJ Identity Theft Lawyer to Discuss Your Case
The criminal defense attorneys at the Law Offices of Leonard Biddison are always available to speak with you about your case and begin to formulate an aggressive strategy to defend you against your identity theft charge. Our criminal defense team understands the details of theft law in New Jersey and we will use this knowledge to help you best defend against these charges. Call us today at 866-721-9510 for a free initial consultation about your case.