Camden NJ Prostitution Defense Lawyer
Sex Crimes Attorney with Offices in Haddonfield, New Jersey
The criminal defense lawyers at the Law Offices of Leonard D. Biddison represents clients charged with a range of sexual offenses including aggravated sexual assault, criminal sexual contact, lewdness, and promoting prostitution. In fact, Mr. Biddison has had a number of sex crimes trials over the years and is highly experienced in handling these very sensitive cases. Our firm focuses on the investigation process and employs the services of a retired New Jersey State trooper to gather evidence, write reports, and take witness statements if necessary. Further, one of our attorneys previously worked with the sex crimes unit at the United States Attorney’s Office. Our criminal defense team will sit down with you and draft a comprehensive defense strategy to combat these serious charges. Don’t let these charges (or even the accusation) ruin your life, contact the Law Offices of Leonard D. Biddison immediately for a free initial consultation at 866-721-9510.
New Jersey Prostitution Charges
In New Jersey, prostitution and promoting prostitution offenses are governed by N.J.S.A. 2C:34-1, which provides, in pertinent part:
b. A person commits an offense if:
(1) The actor engages in prostitution;
(2) The actor promotes prostitution;
(3) The actor knowingly promotes prostitution of a child under 18 whether or not the actor mistakenly believed that the child was 18 years of age or older, even if such mistaken belief was reasonable;
(4) The actor knowingly promotes prostitution of the actors child, ward, or any other person for whose care the actor is responsible;
(5) The actor compels another to engage in or promote prostitution;
(6) The actor promotes prostitution of the actors spouse; or
(7) The actor knowingly engages in prostitution with a person under the age of 18, or if the actor enters into or remains in a house of prostitution for the purpose of engaging in sexual activity with a child under the age of 18, or if the actor solicits or requests a child under the age of 18 to engage in sexual activity. It shall be no defense to a prosecution under this paragraph that the actor mistakenly believed that the child was 18 years of age or older, even if such mistaken belief was reasonable.
Penalties for Prostitution Charges in New Jersey
Typically, prostitution in New Jersey is a disorderly persons offense, punishable by any or all of the following:
Up to six (6) months in the county jail.
Up to a $1,000 fine.
A permanent criminal charge on your record.
However, promoting prostitution can also be classified as a third degree indictable offense, which is punishable by three (3) to five (5) years in NJ State Prison. And, if the prostitution involved a minor (someone under the age of 18), this becomes a second degree crime punishable by five (5) to 10 years in state prison. Note: It does not matter if the person knew that the individual was a minor.
Contact a Gloucester NJ Prostitution Attorney for a Free Consultation
Contact us anytime for a free initial consultation at 866-721-9510. Our criminal defense attorneys are available immediately to assist you.